Lady Gaga’s mother Cynthia Germanotta addressed the issue of bullying in public schools with President Barack Obama’s senior adviser Valerie Jarrett and announced that Gaga’s upcoming bus tour is an opportunity for her Born This Way Foundation and the Obama administration to partner with communities around the nation.
Not What You Needed? Check Out These Related Sites...
- Powerball jackpot could go higher than $600 millionBy Karen Brooks AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - The Powerball jackpot Saturday night could be even higher than the record $600 million being advertised, possibly rivaling the largest lottery jackpot in U.S. history, a Texas Lottery official said on Saturday. "Oftentimes, the advertised amount is lower than what the actual jackpot ends up being," said Kelly Cripe, a spokeswoman for the Texas Lottery. "It's entirely possible this $600 million jackpot will end up being a bigger jackpot." The Powerball record in November was advertised at $550 million, but ended up being $587. ...
- Republican cites IRS scandal in close Virginia governor's raceBy Gary Robertson RICHMOND, Virginia (Reuters) - Virginia Republicans on Saturday formally nominated Ken Cuccinelli for governor in the nation's marquee 2013 political race, and the conservative attorney general wasted no time reminding voters of the scandals facing President Barack Obama. "I am not a true conservative because I have not been investigated by the IRS," joked Cuccinelli, referring to the controversy that has engulfed the federal tax collection agency over its targeting of conservative Tea Party groups. ...
- U.S. state cancels subsidy for investment from Pakistani companyBy Susan Guyett INDIANAPOLIS (Reuters) - Indiana has canceled subsidies for a planned $1.8 billion fertilizer plant in the state because of concerns that a Pakistani company involved in the project makes products used in improvised explosives that kill and injure U.S. troops in Afghanistan. Midwest Fertilizer Corp, which has sought to build the plant in southern Indiana, is 48 percent owned by Fatima Group, which produces a calcium ammonium nitrate fertilizer in Pakistan known to have been used in improvised explosives in Afghanistan. Indiana Governor Mike Pence, a Republican, had put a $1. ...
- Residents capture amazing videos in the face of tornadoesA series of 16 violent tornadoes ransacked north Texas this week, killing six people and flattening entire neighborhoods. Seven people who were reported missing early Friday morning have now been accounted for, but the storms aren't over yet. Severe thunderstorms are expected late Friday in Alabama and Mississippi, and the Plains and the Midwest face [...]
- Police officer and good Samaritans lift SUV off trapped girlHarrowing dash-cam footage shows officer Steve Nunez of the New Mexico State Police and some good Samaritans lifting an overturned SUV off of a little girl last week. Nunez spoke with KOAT.com about the incident. "It's always hard to see anybody in that situation, but especially children," he said. "And daddy mode kicked in." Nunez [...]
- Woman who lost limbs to flesh-eating bacteria gets bionic handsAimee Copeland, the woman who lost her hands, one leg and her other foot to flesh-eating bacteria after a zip-line accident last year, spoke with WXIA.com and "Today" about her new bionic hands, which are helping her return to a normal life. Copeland, 24, is in the process of learning to use two state-of-the art [...]
- Hoarding disorder gets spotlight in DSM-5Regular viewers of hoarding reality shows are used to being stunned by someone's clutter. But behind the sensationalistic stories of rooms buried in trash, kitchens filled with rotting food, and yards overrun by goats are people suffering from a serious mental illness –hoarding–that for many years was misdiagnosed. The upcoming fifth version of the Diagnostic [...]
- Parents of kids allegedly killed by nanny expecting a babyThe parents of two young children killed last fall allegedly by their nanny announced on Thursday that they are expecting a baby this fall. Kevin and Marina Krim broke the news on a Facebook page established in the memory of their children, Lulu, 6, and Leo, 2, who were found stabbed to death in their [...]
- Federal report documents inmate sex abuse in USINDIANAPOLIS (AP) — A new federal report says inmates at jails in Indianapolis, Baltimore, St. Louis and Philadelphia face the nation's highest levels of sexual abuse at the hands of guards.
- Landing gear issue leads to plane's belly landingNEWARK, N.J (AP) — An airline official says a US Airways Express flight with 34 people aboard was forced to make a belly landing at Newark International Airport after experiencing landing gear trouble. No injuries were reported.
- Powerball jackpot could go higher than $600 million
This entry was posted on Thursday, August 9th, 2012 at 12:18 am and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.