Could Sally Ride, the first American woman in space, also have been the first lesbian in space? She died Monday after a 17-month battle with pancreatic cancer, and according to her website, she is survived by Tam O’Shaughnessy, her “partner of 27 years.” Ride’s sister and a spokeswoman for Sally Ride Science, the organization led [...]
Not What You Needed? Check Out These Related Sites...
- Winning ticket for $590.5 million Powerball lottery sold in FloridaBy Brendan O'Brien (Reuters) - A single winning ticket for a record Powerball lottery jackpot worth $590.5 million was sold in Florida, organizers said late on Saturday, but there was no immediate word about who won one of the largest jackpots in U.S. history. The winning numbers from Saturday night's drawing were: 10, 13, 14, 22 and 52, with a Powerball number of 11. The odds of winning were put at 1 in 175 million. The winning ticket was sold at a Publix supermarket in Zephyrhills, a suburb of Tampa, according to the Florida Lottery. ...
- Ghosts of incinerator bond deal haunt Harrisburg electionBy Hilary Russ (Reuters) - In Harrisburg, Pennsylvania's cash-hungry capital city, local political battles are waged much as they are across the United States: with big personalities and bare-knuckled verbal brawls. But unlike most cities, Harrisburg's financial troubles have thrust it into the national spotlight, most recently with a slap from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission for fraud. Financing for a single incinerator has been driving the city toward insolvency since 2009. The $3.7 trillion U.S. ...
- Female hostage died from police bullet in New York standoff: officialBy Brendan O'Brien (Reuters) - A 21-year-old university student who was taken hostage in her apartment and then shot to death during a police standoff with an armed robber on New York's Long Island was killed by a bullet fired from an officer's gun, investigators said on Sunday. Andrea Rebello was shot in the head on Friday by one of eight rounds fired at Dalton Smith, who had the woman in a headlock with a 9mm gun pointed at her head at the time, Nassau County Police Department spokesman James Imperiale said. ...
- Residents capture amazing videos in the face of tornadoesA series of 16 violent tornadoes ransacked north Texas this week, killing six people and flattening entire neighborhoods. Seven people who were reported missing early Friday morning have now been accounted for, but the storms aren't over yet. Severe thunderstorms are expected late Friday in Alabama and Mississippi, and the Plains and the Midwest face [...]
- Police officer and good Samaritans lift SUV off trapped girlHarrowing dash-cam footage shows officer Steve Nunez of the New Mexico State Police and some good Samaritans lifting an overturned SUV off of a little girl last week. Nunez spoke with KOAT.com about the incident. "It's always hard to see anybody in that situation, but especially children," he said. "And daddy mode kicked in." Nunez [...]
- Woman who lost limbs to flesh-eating bacteria gets bionic handsAimee Copeland, the woman who lost her hands, one leg and her other foot to flesh-eating bacteria after a zip-line accident last year, spoke with WXIA.com and "Today" about her new bionic hands, which are helping her return to a normal life. Copeland, 24, is in the process of learning to use two state-of-the art [...]
- Hoarding disorder gets spotlight in DSM-5Regular viewers of hoarding reality shows are used to being stunned by someone's clutter. But behind the sensationalistic stories of rooms buried in trash, kitchens filled with rotting food, and yards overrun by goats are people suffering from a serious mental illness –hoarding–that for many years was misdiagnosed. The upcoming fifth version of the Diagnostic [...]
- Parents of kids allegedly killed by nanny expecting a babyThe parents of two young children killed last fall allegedly by their nanny announced on Thursday that they are expecting a baby this fall. Kevin and Marina Krim broke the news on a Facebook page established in the memory of their children, Lulu, 6, and Leo, 2, who were found stabbed to death in their [...]
- Metro-North: Conn. train outage expected for daysBRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) — Tens of thousands of commuters are bracing for a difficult trip around southwest Connecticut and to New York City beginning Monday as workers repair the Metro-North commuter rail line crippled by a derailment and crash.
- Officer shot in Marathon showdown wants to workBOSTON (AP) — With a bullet still in his body, the police officer who survived a showdown with the Boston Marathon bombing suspects says he's determined to return to duty.
- Winning ticket for $590.5 million Powerball lottery sold in Florida
This entry was posted on Monday, July 23rd, 2012 at 8:19 pm and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.